Saturday, December 12, 2009

We don't need no stinkin' shoes

There are barefoot people everywhere here.

In the grocery store...
In the food court at the mall ...
At the home improvement store ...
They're barefoot in the street, in the airport, sometimes in restaurants (we've actually only seen little kids barefoot in restaurants, but still). These photos happen to all be of men, but women and children do it equally. This was pretty surprising at first, but we're getting used to it. Kiwis just prefer to go natural, I guess. Or maybe the high price of shoes here has something to do with it. But don't they worry about stepping on glass? Or catching some kind of foot disease? We don't know. We just know there are barefoot people everywhere.

Gareth gave it a go today. We went to the mall and to the grocery store. Gareth left his flip-flops in the car. Look at him, all fancy-free in the mall.
He reports that it's good fun, except in the freezer aisle. Brrrr!

1 comment:

  1. I love the fact that going barefoot is seen as normal here - I had an interview which involved a train journey and a lot of walking in high heels; by the time I got on the train to go home, my feet hurt (and had blistered), so I took my shoes off and carried them the rest of the way (and only had to watch for glass in the immediate vicinity of the station). No-one took any notice :-)

    ReplyDelete