Thursday, August 19, 2010

Shift change

The shift change happens this weekend. Gareth's last day of work is tomorrow, my first day back at work is Monday. Poor little Quinn is not going to have any idea come Monday morning why the One With The Boobs has left him, but we know he'll enjoy his time with the One With The Beard.

We are very lucky that my employer has encouraged me to work from home. In a conversation that may make my boss the greatest boss ever, she told me she knows how hard it is to go back to work with a new baby at home, and that I should work from home as much as I can. My job requires me to be in the office at least 1 day a week, and probably 2 days. But I should be able to work 2 or 3 days a week at home. We've bought a little desk for the spare room and I'm ready to set up my home office in there.

I know it's possible to work and breastfeed. All you need is some determination and a good breast pump. But how much easier will it be to continue breastfeeding if we can eliminate the middle man? Instead of pumping milk into bottles for Gareth to feed the baby, I can pump it directly into the baby. So much simpler. We really are lucky.

Gareth's super excited to take over the at-home parent gig. He's got big plans, including new veggie patches, runs with the buggy, and Monday man-dates with a daddy friend. My own plans for all I'd accomplish while at home did not really pan out. I thought I'd be climbing the Rapaki track every day, losing all the baby weight, and catching up with friends and family on Skype. Instead, I've climbed the Rapaki track 0 times (although there's a mean hill nearby that I go over once or twice on most of our walks, so that counts for something...), still have 20lbs to lose, and have been miserable at keeping up with friends and family in America (sorry guys). I spend most of the day feeding the boy, trying to get him to sleep, or thinking he is going to wake up at any minute. Hopefully Gareth will have more luck with his plans than I've had with mine.

I'm excited to get back to work and find out if my brain still works. Fingers crossed! But I'm also a little sad that my time as a stay-at-home mum is coming to an end. So long, Tuesday morning walks through the park with the boy and a cuppa.


No comments:

Post a Comment