Thursday, April 14, 2011

Plucky Bakery

Yesterday I had to go to the bank. This used to be a simple chore - I knew where all the banks were, and one was conveniently downstairs from my office. Not anymore. I have no office. I had no idea which branches were closed due to earthquake damage and which were still open for business. So I googled it.

The branch on Columbo Street in Sydenham was now open. This was good news - Sydenham was in the cordoned off area for some time but has recently reopened. Now I had a legitimate reason to head close to town and do some rubblenecking.

This area of Columbo Street is just devastated. At least 80% of the block seemed to be boarded up or demolished. So sad to see. But there was little ray of light.

The Sydenham Bakery is open for business! This was good news because (1) it was nearly 3pm, and I was hungry for some afternoon tea, and (2) it's good to see family businesses reopening. I walked up to the front doors but they were boarded up. A sign advised me to come round back. I followed the footpath around the block to the back of the building. There I found the bakery operating out of a tent in its back lot.

Sydenham Bakery
(I borrowed this photo from the Bakery's Facebook page. Go like them.)

Maybe I'm just emotionally overwrought, or maybe its the sleep deprivation that comes with a teething 10-month old, but the sight of this plucky baker doing whatever it takes to stay open brought a tear to my eye. Just lovely.

Also lovely: my chocolate caramel slice. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment