Thursday, July 2, 2009

We're walking here!

It was very quickly apparent to us that crossing the street would be tricky business here. As far as we can tell, the general rule that pedestrians have the right of way just does not apply here.

What first struck us was that when you let a pedestrian cross the road in front of you, they are incredibly appreciative. We were driving around the first week we arrived and stopped to let a pedestrian cross the road in a crosswalk - something we assumed was required. The man gave us two very enthusiastic thumbs up. A couple days later, another grateful pedestrian gave us a huge smile and a wave. This seemed a little odd. We felt like superheroes.

We quickly learned what was going on though. In the last two weeks, we have both been nearly plowed over while crossing the street. And we were not jaywalking. We were both in a crosswalk! and with a green walking dude!! Turning traffic in this town has no regard for pedestrians who have the right of way (or rather, with what we've always regarded as the right of way...)

The closest call I've had so far was crossing Bealey Avenue, a major 4 lane street here. I pressed the button and waited for the green dude. (As a sidenote, there is a crazy noise that sounds when it's okay to cross. It's like a 'thrrroop dip dip dip dip.' You can almost dance to it). When I got the signal, I started crossing. A right-turning car crossed right in front of me, but not so close as to make me break stride or anything. Fair enough. But then the car behind that one also turned right, literally missing me by inches. I shouted "jeeesus CHRIST!!" and did a jump back. I looked to another pedestrian nearby for back-up, but he just gave me a look like, "watch where you're going, dumbass." Gareth has had similar close calls.

We now understand why we see people darting across the street, as if fearing for their very lives. Rightfully so. We are staying on our toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment